Monday 16 September 2013

Mission Accomplished 100km skate around singapore

Yes I did it! Skate 100km around Singapore last sun.
Sorry My dear readers for missing out the updates. Been resting and chilling since my 100km skate.

Almost cancelled the skate due to the heavy rain. Woke up to heavy downpour, surely not going to risk my life. Thought of postponing to the following week.  At 4pm, received a text from Nadya, asking where am I? Looking at the road condition, it already dried up, safe to skate, I asked her if she like to join me in my journey. Anyway, she lives in woodlands, which is my first pit stop. Arrange to meet at her place. Set off at about 5pm.

Reached woodlands faster than my normal timing.  Maybe the scent of what she is cooking drives me faster. Hearty serving of Fried rice with fried chicken and eggs is all it takes to replenish my energy for remaining 70 km. Too bad, her bike tyre is punctured and since is sun, bike shops are closed, she can't get replacements. Once again I am off alone. She warned me about the route to jurong east. It will be tough as in heavy traffic and lots of hill. To make matters worse, it started drizzling. Since I am bent in completing my journey, I just have to press on.

The journey to jurong is pretty hilly but when there is an uphill, there is always a downhill. Traffic relegated me to skate on sidewalk till traffic lessen up as the night persist on.
By bukit panjang, I am on a down gradient to jurong, makes it fun. Found the cycle path, and started pumping as the chinaman on his bike stared in bewilderment as I was matching to his speed just by pumping. He tried to shake me off by pedalling faster but failed.

Arrived at jurong and stopped for drinks to replenish energy. 55km more to go. The rain just got heavier. No choice but to press on. I ain't going to restart the journey on another day.

Skated on west coast highway, it is pretty empty at this time of the night except few passing cars and trucks. Continued on to east coast park then to changi, found my pumping groove and sped off to finish at 3.48 am. Takes 10 hours including 2 hours dinner break at nadya's,  so 8 hours in longboard is a good time.



No comments:

Post a Comment